Tuesday, May 14, 2013

D-Blog Week Day 2: Wildcard - Dream Diabetes Device



Tell us what your fantasy diabetes device would be? Think of your dream blood glucose checker, delivery system for insulin or other meds, magic carb counter, etc. etc. etc. The sky is the limit – what would you love to see?


Something that I would love to see is some kind of quick acting glucose that I could use at night that I wouldn't have to wake J up and try to get him to eat or drink while he's half asleep when his blood sugar is low. I'm picturing something like those flat medicine Thin Strips that Triaminic makes:


 
Why couldn't they make some kind of glucose strip out of these? 15 carbs or 10 carbs each? And then all you'd do is slip one in your sleeping child's mouth and viola! Instant rise in BG and no fuss no muss. No constant night waking to force feed crackers or milk or juice. No worries about tooth decay from juice or milk sitting on the teeth all night. No worrying about him choking on food when he's half asleep. And make them flavorless too. Or maybe just very mild.
 
Now how do you get a company to consider an new idea???
 
 
WendyP




4 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty brilliant to me. Hope some companies are reading . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! We use mini juice boxes (15 carbs). John actually can drink them in his sleep, but there are times that I have ended up squirting myself, the floor, or the bed before giving it to him. Your product is much more portable too. Could you make organic product so we would avoid artificial colors or chemicals ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fabulous! Also package it so as adults they're easy to get out in the middle of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I really like about this idea is how SMALL the 15 grams of carbs would be. It would be great if it could be that dense. And given that I just talked to our pediatric dentist this week about my worries about her tooth decay from the middle of the night juice, you really struck a chord there too. Like Elizabeth who commented above, I also currently just stick a straw from a juice box in her mouth and she drinks it without ever even opening her eyes! She never remembers in the morning either. (I save the juice boxes for lows away from home and in the middle of the night, the rest of the time we use a glass)

    Good idea!

    ReplyDelete